This is not a comprehensive list but it does list some of the more common foods that your dog should not have exposure to.
Keep in mind, that a dog getting into the garbage could have access to most of these so protect your dog by securing your garbage both in and outside of your home.
- Apple seeds
- Apricot pits
- Cherry pits
- Candy containing xylitol an artificial sweetener, chocolate
- Coffee including coffee beans and Caffeine
- Citrus fruits in small amounts will likely result in minor upset stomach but the leaves, peels, stems etc... can prove to cause more severe irritation
- Coconut water, raw coconut both contribute to upset stomach, avoid these
- Grapes and rasins
- Gum especially containing Xylitol
- Macadamia nuts and nuts in general aren't good and contribute to pancreatitis
- Mouldy foods
- Mushroom plants
- Mustard seeds
- Onions, onion powder and chives
- Peach pits
- Potato leaves and stems-the green parts
- Raw or undercooked meat can contain salmonella or E. Coli.
- Raw eggs contain avidin that decreases the absorption of vitamin B leading to coat problems.
- Raw bones are also a hazard for these reasons and the risk of a splinter becoming lodged in their digestive tract.
- Rhubarb leaves
- Salt can produce sodium ion poisoning
- Tea because it contains caffeine
- Tomato leaves and stems green parts
- Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets and is commonly found in peanut butter, toothpaste, candy, baked goods and chewing gum
- Yeast dough
Don't take the risk.
Feeding your dog anything other than a true and trusted kibble is always assuming somewhat of a risk with their health. For this reason we always recommend a tried and true super premium dog food. If you feed your dog properly, your dog will likely live longer and be healthier during that time thus helping to reduce your Veterinarian costs.
Trust the experts.
With over 10 years of experience with TLC Whole Life Petfood, we've experienced the benefits of an incredible food, had time to compare the ingredients to hundreds of other foods, and have seen our dogs eat the TLC food before they would eat any other brand if you set the bowls down beside each other. The company has graciously offered a $5 off of your first order which you can take advantage of here and have the food delivered to your door super fast... that is... unless you prefer manhandling 30 pound bags in and out of shopping carts and trunks for 10 or 15 years.